Deciding on a University

Sounds like a great program but you're not sure where you want to go?  Students may choose to go to campuses that are members of the National Student Exchange. For a complete list of more than 175 participating campuses, visit the NSE website.

Students may also make appointments to meet with the University of Oregon NSE Coordinator in the Office of Academic Advising. Call 541-346-3211 or email nse@uoregon.edu to make an appointment.

Length of Exchange

Exchanges may be for a single term in fall, winter, or spring or an entire academic year. The UO does not participate in summer-term exchanges. Credits taken at a semester school will be multiplied by 1.5 to be the equivalent of UO credit. 

Cost and Payment

Students either pay their normal tuition and fees at the home campus (Plan B) or pay these fees at the host campus where non-residency status is waived for up to one academic year (Plan A). Each campus determines the fee payment plan or plans under which it will participate in the exchange program. Participants pay room and meal charges to the host campus. 

Financial aid is applied for and awarded by the campus that students are paying tuition and fees for. When filling out your FAFSA form, list the campus code of any college where there is any possibility to be placed on Plan A as well as the code for UO. Those students who are exchanging to Canadian member schools will apply for financial aid at UO.

Applications and Placement

Following your informational meeting, you will apply for your chosen schools. Applications for the following academic year will be accepted during the first two weeks of February each year. Placement decisions will be made in mid-March. NSE places approximately 97 percent of its applicants at their first choice schools. 

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Must I be enrolled at UO to participate in the National Student Exchange?

Yes. Students who want to go on exchange to a member campus need to be enrolled full time and be in good standing at the University of Oregon the term prior to exchanging. 

  1. How much does it cost to participate in the NSE program?

Students must pay an application fee of $215. This fee is not refundable once placed at the host school. Housing, books, insurance, etc. are paid at the host school. 

There are two payment plans for the NSE. On Plan A, tuition and fees are assessed at the in-state (resident) rate of the "host" campus. For Plan B tuition and fees are paid to your "home" school at the rate you normally pay.  

  1. Do I have to enroll full time at the host school?

Yes. UO students are required to maintain full-time status at the host campus for the duration of their exchange.

  1. How do I apply to participate in the National Student Exchange?

Students who are interested in an exchange must attend an informational meeting

  1. How do grades transfer back to the UO?

After students arrange to have their official transcripts sent from their host school, the UO Admissions Office will evaluate them. Credits taken at a semester school will be multiplied by 1.5 to be the equivalent of UO credit. The courses taken while on exchange are considered transfer credits and are not used to calculate your UO GPA.

  1. How do I pay for tuition while on exchange?

There are two options for payment while on exchange. Plan A is where host school resident (in-state) tuition is paid to the host school.  Plan B is where UO tuition is paid to the UO even though the student is on exchange at another school. 
NOTE: some schools only arrange for either Plan A or Plan B payment options. To find out which payment plans the school of your choice contains refer to the NSE Directory.

  1. Can I bring a friend on exchange?

Yes. Students can be placed as "linked" in groups or pairs at the NSE Placement Conference. However, students must understand that they are not guaranteed a placement with their friend. Linked students will be placed together on all choices, so it is recommended that applicants agree on all choices.

  1. How long can I stay on exchange?

Students may stay on exchange for up to one academic year.  If a student was signed up for only one term and wishes to extend the stay, he or she must receive permission from both the home and host schools.

  1. How do I know if my courses will transfer back to UO?

Every student must complete an agreement with the home campus regarding how the courses taken on exchange will be applied to the home academic program. UO students will be given a course approval form in which they will need to map out courses they plan to take on exchange. Students will also need to print out host school course descriptions for those courses and take them to their major departments and the Office of the Registrar to have them approved.

For all incoming NSE students and outgoing NSE students, follow the UO NSE blog for updates and detailed information regarding the exchange program and how it works!